Last modified 11-03-2021
The Seaspan Group of Companies (“Seaspan”, “we”) respects your privacy and is committed to protecting it by complying with this policy.
This policy describes:
- how we collect, use, disclose, and protect the personal information of our customers and website users (“you“);
- the types of information we may collect from you or that you may provide when you visit the website Seaspan.com (the “Website“); and
- our practices for collecting, using, maintaining, protecting, and disclosing that information.
Seaspan will only use your personal information in accordance with this policy unless otherwise required by applicable law.
Privacy laws in Canada generally define “personal information” as any information about an identifiable individual, which includes information that can be used on its own or with other information to identify, contact, or locate a single person. Personal information does not include business contact information, including your name, title, or business contact information.
This policy applies to information we collect, use, or disclose about you:
- on the Website; and
- in email, text, and other electronic messages between you and the Website.
This policy DOES NOT apply to information that:
- we collect offline or through any other means, including on any other Seaspan or third-party website; and
- you provide to or is collected by any third party through any application or content (including advertising) that may link to or be accessible from the Website.
Information we collect about you
We collect and use several types of information from and about you, including:
- personal information, that we can reasonably use to directly or indirectly identify you, such as your name, mailing address, e-mail address, telephone number, Internet protocol (IP) address used to connect your computer to the Internet, user name or other similar identifier, and any other identifier we may use to contact you (“Personal Information“);
- non-personal information, that does not directly or indirectly reveal your identity or directly relate to an identifiable individual, such as demographic information, or statistical or aggregated information. Statistical or aggregated data does not directly identify a specific person, but we may derive non-personal statistical or aggregated data from Personal Information. For example, we may aggregate Personal Information to calculate the percentage of users accessing a specific Website feature;
- technical information, including your login information, browser type and version, time zone setting, browser plug-in types and versions, operating system and platform, or information about your internet connection, the equipment you use to access our Website, and usage details; and
- non-personal details about your Website interactions, including the full Uniform Resource Locators (URLs), clickstream to, through and from our Website (including date and time), page response times, download errors, length of visits to certain pages, page interaction information (such as scrolling, clicks, and mouse-overs), methods used to browse away from the page, or any phone number used to call us.
How we collect information about you
We use different methods to collect your information, including through:
- direct interactions with you when you provide it to us, for example, by filling in forms, uploading documents, or corresponding with us by phone, email, or otherwise; and
- automated technologies or interactions, as you navigate through our Website. Information collected automatically may include usage details, IP addresses, and information collected through cookies and other tracking technologies;
- third parties, for example, when you apply for a job, apply to be a supplier, or book ferry reservations through our third-party business partners.
Information You Provide to Us
The information we collect directly from you on or through the Website may include:
- information that you provide by filling in forms on the Website. This includes information provided at the time of contacting our staff, applying for a job, applying to be a supplier, booking ferry reservations, and making an ethics report. Seaspan may also ask you for information when you enter a contest or promotion, and when you report a problem with the Website;
- information that you provide by uploading documents to the Website. This includes information provided at the time of applying for a job;
- records and copies of your correspondence (including email addresses), if you contact Seaspan; and
- your search queries on the Website.
Information We Collect Through Cookies and Other Automatic Data Collection Technologies
- details of your visits to our Website, including traffic data, location data, logs, and other communication data and the resources that you access and use on the Website; and
- information about your computer and internet connection, including your IP address, operating system, and browser type.
The information we collect automatically is statistical information that includes Personal Information and we may maintain it or associate it with Personal Information we collect in other ways, that you provide to us, or receive from third parties. It helps us to improve our Website and to deliver a better and more personalized service, including by enabling us to:
- estimate our audience size and usage patterns;
- store information about your preferences, allowing us to customize our Website according to your individual interests;
- speed up your searches; and
- recognize you when you return to our Website.
You can opt-out of several third party ad servers’ and networks’ cookies simultaneously by using an opt-out tool created by the Digital Advertising Alliance of Canada or an opt-out tool created by the Network Advertising Initiative. You can also access these websites to learn more about online behavioural advertising and how to stop websites from placing cookies on your device. Opting out of a network does not mean you will no longer receive online advertising. It does mean that the network from which you opted out will no longer deliver ads tailored to your web preferences and usage patterns.
We do not control these third parties’ tracking technologies or how they are used. If you have any questions about an advertisement or other targeted content, you should contact the responsible provider directly. For more information about how you can opt out of receiving targeted advertising from many providers, see Choices About How We Use and Disclose Your Information.
How we use your information
We use information that we collect about you or that you provide to us, including any Personal Information:
- to present the Website and its contents to you;
- to provide you with information, products, or services that you request from us;
- to assess your qualifications and suitability for employment with us;
- to assess your qualifications and suitability to become a supplier for us;
- to fulfill the purposes for which you provided the information or that were described when it was collected, or any other purpose for which you provide it;
- to provide you with notices about your account, including expiration notices;
- to improve the Website, products or services, marketing, or customer relationships and experiences;
- in any other way we may describe when you provide the information; and
- for any other purpose with your consent.
Disclosure of your information
We may disclose aggregated information about our users, and information that does not identify any individual, without restriction.
- to our subsidiaries and affiliates;
- in accordance with applicable law, to a buyer or other successor in the event of a merger, divestiture, restructuring, reorganization, dissolution, or other sale or transfer of some or all of a member of the Seaspan Group of Companies’ assets, whether as a going concern or as part of bankruptcy, liquidation, or similar proceeding, in which Personal Information held by the member of the Seaspan Group of Companies about our customers and users is among the assets transferred;
- to contractors, service providers, and other third parties we use to support our business (such as analytics and search engine providers that assist us with Website improvement and optimization) and who are contractually obligated to keep Personal Information confidential, use it only for the purposes for which we disclose it to them, and to process the Personal Information with the same standards set out in this policy;
- to fulfill the purpose for which you provide it. For example, if you email us a request through the Website and to respond to your request we must forward the email to a third party, we will transmit the contents of that email and your email address to that third party;
- for any other purpose disclosed by us when you provide the information; and
- with your consent.
We may also disclose your Personal Information:
- to comply with any court order, law, or legal process, including to respond to any government or regulatory request, in accordance with applicable laws;
- if we believe disclosure is necessary or appropriate to protect the rights, property, or safety of Seaspan, our customers, or others.
Transferring your Personal Information
We may transfer Personal Information that we collect or that you provide as described in this policy to contractors, service providers, and other third parties we use to support our business (such as analytics and search engine providers that assist us with Website improvement and optimization) and who are contractually obligated to keep Personal Information confidential, use it only for the purposes for which we disclose it to them, and to process the Personal Information with the same standards set out in this policy.
We may process, store, and transfer your Personal Information in and to a foreign country, with different privacy laws that may or may not be as comprehensive as Canadian law. In these circumstances, the governments, courts, law enforcement, or regulatory agencies of that country may be able to obtain access to your Personal Information through the laws of the foreign country. Whenever we engage a service provider, we require that its privacy and security standards adhere to this policy and applicable Canadian privacy legislation.
By submitting your Personal Information or engaging with the Website, you consent to this transfer, storage, or processing.
Choices about how we use and disclose your Personal Information
We strive to provide you with choices regarding the Personal Information you provide to us. We have created mechanisms to provide you with the following control over your information:
The security of your Personal Information is very important to us. We use physical, electronic, and administrative measures designed to secure your Personal Information from accidental loss and from unauthorized access, use, alteration, and disclosure.
The safety and security of your information also depends on you. Where you have chosen, or we have given you, a password for access to certain parts of our Website, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We ask you not to share your password with anyone.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the Internet is not completely secure. Although we do our best to protect your Personal Information, we cannot guarantee the security of your Personal Information transmitted to our Website. Any transmission of Personal Information is at your own risk. We are not responsible for circumvention of any privacy settings or security measures contained on the Website.
Except as otherwise permitted or required by applicable law or regulation, we will only retain your Personal Information for as long as necessary to fulfill the purposes we collected it for, including for the purposes of satisfying any legal, accounting, or reporting requirements. Under some circumstances we may anonymize your Personal Information so that it can no longer be associated with you. We reserve the right to use such anonymous and de-identified data for any legitimate business purpose without further notice to you or your consent.
Children under the age of 13
Our Website is not intended for children under 13 years of age. No one under age 13 may provide any information to the Website. We do not knowingly collect Personal Information from children under 13. If you are under 13, do not use or provide any information on this Website or on or through any of its features, or provide any information about yourself to us, including your name, address, telephone number, email address, or any screen name or user name you may use. If we learn we have collected or received Personal Information from a child under 13 without verification of parental consent, we will delete that information. If you believe we might have any information from or about a child under 13, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Accessing and correcting your Personal Information
It is important that the Personal Information we hold about you is accurate and current. Please keep us informed if your Personal Information changes. By law you have the right to request access to and to correct the Personal Information that we hold about you.
If you have an account on our Website, you can review and change your personal information by logging into the Website and visiting your account profile page.
If you want to review, verify, correct, or withdraw consent to the use of your personal information, you may also send us an email at email@example.com to request access to, correct, or delete any personal information that you have provided to use. We may not accommodate a request to change information if we believe the change would violate any law or legal requirement or cause the information to be incorrect.
We may request specific information from you to help us confirm your identity and your right to access, and to provide you with the Personal Information that we hold about you or make your requested changes. Applicable law may allow or require us to refuse to provide you with access to some or all of the Personal Information that we hold about you, or we may have destroyed, erased, or made your Personal Information anonymous in accordance with our record retention obligations and practices. If we cannot provide you with access to your Personal Information, we will inform you of the reasons why, subject to any legal or regulatory restrictions.
We will provide access to your Personal Information, subject to exceptions set out in applicable privacy legislation. Examples of such exceptions include:
- information protected by solicitor-client privilege;
- information that is part of a formal dispute resolution process;
- information that is about another individual that would reveal their Personal Information or confidential commercial information; and
- information that is prohibitively expensive to provide.
If you are concerned about our response or would like to correct the information provided, you may contact our Privacy Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Withdrawing your consent
Where you have provided your consent to the collection, use, and transfer of your Personal Information, you may have the legal right to withdraw your consent under certain circumstances. To withdraw your consent, if applicable, contact us at email@example.com. Please note that if you withdraw your consent we may not be able to provide you with a particular product or service. We will explain the impact to you at the time to help you with your decision.
Privacy Officer: firstname.lastname@example.org
We have procedures in place to receive and respond to complaints or inquiries about our handling of Personal Information, our compliance with this policy, and with applicable privacy laws. To discuss our compliance with this policy please contact our Privacy Officer using the contact information listed above.